Damen Shipyards Group is established in 1927 and is a 100% Dutch family owned international group of companies which operates 34 shipbuilding and repair yards, employing 10,000 people worldwide from a divisional structure with 7 divisions and a holding. Damen has delivered more than 6,000 vessels in more than 100 countries and delivers some 200 vessels annually to customers worldwide. Damen designs and builds innovative vessels and based on its unique, standardized ship-design concept Damen is able to guarantee consistent quality supported by a worldwide network of sales and services. Annual production value amounts to approximately EUR 2bln.
Damen’s focus on standardization, modular construction and maintaining vessels in stock leads to short delivery times, low ‘total cost of ownership’, high resale values and reliable performance. Furthermore, Damen vessels are based on thorough R&D and proven technology.
Damen offers a wide range of products, including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and superyachts.
For nearly all vessel types of Damen offers a broad range of services, including maintenance, spare parts delivery, training and the transfer of (shipbuilding) know-how. Damen also offers a variety of marine components, such as nozzles, rudders, anchors, anchor chains and steel works.
Do you have a master degree in Dutch law, experience in business law and 3-5 years working experience? This could be the next step you are looking for!
We are currently looking for a legal counsel to further strengthen the corporate legal team of the Damen Group. Are you a strong, convincing and ambitious professional with a proactive attitude and 3 to 5 years working experience as an inhouse lawyer or at an law firm? Do you like to work in a young and energetic team in collaboration with various other disciplines on a variety of legal matters? And do you have strong analytical skills? Then this might be the role for you!
The corporate legal team is responsible for amongst others:
- Execution of various corporate transactions;
- Support with and/or execution of major projects, such as M&A transactions and financing arrangements;
- Real estate transactions;
- Governance related projects;
- IP matters;
- Providing overall advice on a wide variety of topics to the (division) management teams.
As legal counsel you will support the corporate counsel with the day-to-day execution of these activities to facilitate the growth of Damen’s business and the overall success in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and internal policy.
The corporate team is part of the multi-lingual international Damen legal team.
- Analyzing and providing feedback on various agreements (such as purchasing agreements, real estate agreements, services level agreements, etc.);
- Negotiate, review and/or draft documentation for (general) business transactions and advise (division) management and/or other internal stakeholders;
- Reviewing of financing arrangements and guarantees;
- Drafting, editing, and managing models, policies and procedures;
- Providing ad-hoc legal advice to divisions and other stakeholders;
- Corporate housekeeping (drafting corporate documents, maintenance of the corporate database, preparing of (international) corporate transactions, such as share transfers and liquidations);
- Updating and supervising the claims register;
- Developing, implementing and improving the governance within the Damen Group;
- Drafting in-depth memos on various legal topics;
- Building Damen’s internal corporate network and maintaining good working relationships with business, finance, management and other stakeholders.
Skills & experience
- Young professional with a masters’ degree in Dutch private and/or business law;
- 3 to 5 years working experience at a law firm or as inhouse legal counsel;
- Experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts and other transaction documents;
- Sufficient knowledge & experience of contract and/or corporate law;
- Accurate and quality oriented;
- Strong (intercultural) communication skills;
- Both team player and independent worker;
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English language.
As a person you are:
- Accurate and precise person with an eye for detail;
- Methodical and structured;
- Professional way of working;
- Objective and independent;
- Relationship builder.
What we offer
We want to make sure you are succesful in your role, so we will support you to develop yourself in this position. We are a growing organization where innovation is the driving force. Entrepreneurship is in our DNA, and that's why we continue to grow and innovate and offer plenty of opportunities.
We offer you:
- Personal guidance, freedom, varied work and a work environment where your opinion counts;
- An excellent benefits package tailored to your experience and education level;
- A dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- An open, informal, no-nonsense culture with short communication lines;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events and sports.