Energy Storage & Charging Specialist
Business Unit and function: APM Terminals Decarbonisation Office
Reports to: Infrastructure & Innovation Senior Program Manager
Location: This is a full-time, permanent position (ideally) based in the Hague, Netherlands
We are committed to decarbonise our business by 2040 – and push disruptive technologies in logistic services. Do you have the passion, curiosity, and technical expertise to become a pivotal part of our journey?
Climate action is a strategic imperative for Maersk & APM Terminals, and we are stepping up our efforts to reduce the climate impact of our business. Early in 2022, we announced our company target to be net zero across all emission scopes in 2040. We know this is challenging, but we believe it can be done!
As an Energy Storage & Charging Specialist for APM Terminals, you will join the Decarbonisation Office and work in our HQ (The Hague, Netherlands) and across the globe. You will be the experienced specialist responsible for driving development and implementation of our electric vehicle charging infrastructure (EVCI) and onsite battery energy storage systems (BESS) solutions across our global terminal portfolio.
Our target is to achieve net zero in 2040 – a highly ambitious goal for a global terminal operator. To achieve this, we work closely with many stakeholders in other functions such as procurement, operations, engineering, asset management, commercial, growth, project execution and many more.
APM Terminals Decarbonisation office has started running multiple container handling equipment electrification pilots in our terminals. This position will support the next phase of global fleet electrification by focusing on DC charging and BESS deployments.
You’ll have a crucial role in our fleet electrification across various mobile container handling equipment types and terminals. If you know how to deploy EVCI and BESS, this is your opportunity to design global implementation.
As an Energy Storage & Charging Specialist, you will be the technical expert responsible for these assets specification, archetype solution design and overall continuous performance optimization.
- Owner of the DC Charging and BESS archetype solution, encompassing design, technology specification, and components to ensure compliance with relevant standards, regulations, and best practices.
- Provides technical leadership for the procurement/tender of DC Charging & BESS, including the development of tender specifications and thorough review of tender responses.
- Offers expert advice on integrating DC charge stations and battery energy storage systems with electrical grids, ensuring grid stability and optimal energy management for terminals.
- Analyzes system performance data and conducts energy modeling to identify areas for optimization and efficiency improvements in charge station and BESS installations.
- Leads the product acceptance process, covering everything from technical performance to operational onboarding.
- Collaborates with central teams to offer holistic solutions that align with the company’s sustainability and business objectives.
- Liaises with OEMs to understand emerging products in the market.
- Identifies opportunities to improve best practices within the organization.
- Conducts research and analysis to identify trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in charging and energy storage.
- Prepares analyses to drive decision-making, and produces and presents management reports.
- Builds strong relationships with internal stakeholders and global functions.
- Produces high-quality technical requirements, presentations, reports, workshop materials, memos, and other documents.
- 7+ years of experience in DC electric vehicle charging infrastructure (EVCI) development, battery energy storage systems (BESS) development, grid services implementation in engineering or consulting environment
- Degree qualified in electrical engineering, sustainable energy technology, or power electronics is essential.
- Passion and high interest in decarbonisation and emerging technology and/or maritime sector (particularly the container terminals operations); or appetite and ability to go through a steep learning curve over a short period of time
- Extensive experience with developing and implementing DC EVCI and BESS applications for heavy duty commercial vehicle fleets (i.e. truck, bus, construction, container handling equipment) and/or commercial and industrial (C&I) clients
- Have been part of full project lifecycle for EVCI and BESS applications including concept development, engineering system design, supplier selection, site selection, factory acceptance tests, site acceptance tests, onsite installation, grid connection processes, grid code compliance, commissioning, operation, and maintenance work packages
- Have extensive experience on technical requirement development for DC charge stations, charging network monitoring & management software platforms,
- Have demonstrated expertise in BESS including comprehensive knowledge of battery chemistry, duty cycling, performance, and design optimization. Proficiency in ensuring battery safety and managing battery inverter systems is important.
- Have experience or knowledge on alternative charging methods such as battery pack swapping, ultra-fast charging, automated charging,
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills and ability to deliver high-quality and structured options and steering for resolution/decision
We realise that certain groups of people are less likely to apply for a role if they do not meet 100% of the job requirements. To be clear: if you like the look of this job and think you could do it well, we encourage you to apply with a CV that highlights your transferable skills and experience.